22 April 2007

NY DAY 7 : Monday

It was our last day. We packed our bags and after calling the airlines to make sure our flights are set to go, we had our last brunch at Pop Diner. We took the hotel shuttle to Terminal 8. Was hugely disappointed at the size of duty-free (one small shop) although managed to get a few more small souvenirs at the news stand. We boarded the flight and we were on our way home

Overall, it was a hectic trip. I would have though 7 days would be plenty but how wrong I was! Being caught in a big storm and staying relatively far away from central Manhattan did not help.

The subway is a nightmare although I have been told it is much, much better than it was years ago. Manhattan is so overbuilt with high rise buildings left and right; which can feel claustrophobic and in many areas, NY is not pretty. I began to see how beautiful and more atmospheric European cities like London and Paris are.

I still think New York is an amazing place despite the glitches and disappointments. There are so many, many more places that need to be explored. Haven’t had a chance to check out the other neighbourhoods like Greenwich, SoHo, TriBeCa and Little Italy. Not too gutted on missing Chinatown though.

Would have love to visit Lombardi’s, the Shake Shack and Katz Deli where they filmed the infamous fake orgasm scene in “When Harry meet Sally”, maybe catch a taping of Rikki Lake or David Letterman or go on the Sex and the City tour (alas, kids not allowed so those were struck off the list).

I would also love to do more shopping especially since the pound is £1 : $2 and checked out Bloomingdales and Century 21 more properly. Ah well, we covered a lot of ground in the little time we had. Perhaps if there is a next time, I would save more money to stay somewhere more central and go on an all-girlie holiday to NY.

3 comments:

yuRa said...

last line sounds like an invitation specifically for me! :p

enjoyed your review. great to know you had a wonderful time

Nani said...

Cool cool stuff!!! Love the pictures! Wish I was there to soak up the atmosphere with you...

melayudilondon said...

I wish you guys were with me too! :-(