2 March 2006

Metro is Singapore...

Although Metro is down only to four stores nationwide, in it’s heyday, it was THE place to shop.

I was about 10 or 12 years old when Far East Plaza opened. It was probably the run-up during the Hari Raya since we only get new “going out” clothes then. I remember disembarking from CCS bus no. 3 and marvelling at the tall shopping centre with its glass elevators, shooting up and down. . Metro took up all the basement area and I was gobsmacked by all the fancy toys on display. And the clothes! How fabulous are they? Definitely more atas than Top100!

When I was in RGS, Far East Plaza was a 15 minute walk away. Afternoons are spent, squealing “So cute!!!!” at the myriad soft toys, looking through the Eva Peroni hairclips or browsing all the clothes rails. I wasn’t brave enough to try them on though. It was also such an IN thing to have an engraved pen done at Metro with the cheapest pen at about $8. After enough walking about, we would sit down at Long John Silver. Then they served a wonderful battered fish sandwich, big enough to share and wonderful battered fishballs (sadly, no longer) which taste great with chilli sauce. Either that or it would be First Muslim Noodle House. So I did felt a pang of sadness when they were closing down Metro at Far East Plaza. We tried to go to First Muslim as well about 2 years back but that was no longer there as well.

Why do I have such fond memories of Metro? My first ever proper paid job was as a Sales Assistant at Metro Paragon at the tender age of 17. For a princely sum of $3.25 an hour and dressed in a white and red stripy uniform, I manned the changing room at Ladies Contemporary, hung all the clothes back on the rails, check stock and when it is Christmas Season, I was posted at the Gift Wrapping Counter.

Now that was a revelation. If you ever need proof how kiasu Singaporeans are, try telling them they have free gift wrapping. Wahhh!! The lines snaked around the block. Only small item like a bar of soap, they request 10 pieces of wrapping paper. I faced for the first time a fierce female boss, shoplifters and what to be a first, seeing a woman smoked. How scandalous!

It was peak shopping season and I worked all hours (I was trying to get over a heartache too but that is a different story). Hours after hours of cutting, sticking cellotape and ribbon whilst Milli Vanilli blamed it on the rain and Kylie Minogue put your hand on your heart and tell me it’s all over. I still go “argghhh!” whenever I overhear that Kylie song.

Coincidentally IU also worked for Metro but at Metro Marina. Sorry ah..i prefer Metro Paragon, purely for their luxurious toilets. hahahaahah

22 comments:

yuRa said...

why did i have the feeling my name would be mentioned before the story ends? hahahah..

i said my goodbyes to ES there at the marina before my days with metro were over. hmm.. i think i was dressed up pretty nicely too. heh. happy endings.

where you were working, i love the toilets. paragon stuff are too pricey for me. though admittedly, i'd burnt serious moolah there coupla times before. never again! but then as they say. never say never. :p.

for who can resist pretty clothes for the kids? it's simply a shopping haven for kidstuff there.

melayudilondon said...

ah, you don't mention ES lah. still haven't tell me the story till today. ahaks!!! oh, don't you know, it's one of my dreams to open a kids boutique in singapore??

yuRa said...

good! i can't wait to patronise your shop. tapi don't charge me too expensive, k? and must give discount some more! hhahaah *bila shikin nak jadik kaya ni macam?*

yuRa said...

oops! sekali *dah* kaya eh? : )

melayudilondon said...

jgn cakap kaya duit, kaya sapu roti pun jarang aku nampak. hahahaha. almaklum kat sini ye? mana lah kedai roti jual kaya.

yuRa said...

heheh. lawak .. lawak!

Nani said...

Lama ku tunggu blogmu... sekarang baru menjelma... lagi pulak I was busy with the kids tak sempat check internet. Kalau Shikin nak bukak kedai, I want to be a shareholder... Serious. Provided by then, I have enough savings.

U know what, I think there is a dearth in pre-school education centres offering good Malay courses for the kids. U know lah today how our kids grow up speaking London all the time... Actphabets is not bad I think. Kamu2 kalau ada idea dan modal, kita boleh bukak pre-school enrichment centre offering good courses for kids - both EL and ML. Shikin boleh jadi Programme Manager - budak2 boleh belajar pantun ke, tulis sajak ke , music and movement, Language and so forth.

Ayu boleh jadi Admin Manager. Being the computer expert, your expertise will be invaluable to administer the company. Tapi everybody else can contribute to each other's territorylah. Amacam? Insya Allah, even if it's 7/10 years more, I'll wait... Kalau takpun, jadi shareholder pun ok..kalau tak pun jadi supporter pun oklah.

melayudilondon said...

ye? betul ke takde svc camtu? ni boleh look into ni. tapi modal tadak lah. hahahah. ah nani, you tak check ke kita punya rgs blog? http://rgskaki.blogspot.com zahar pun dah join lah

yuRa said...

oh man! kenapa aku tak sound eh? i have had that idea for the longest time! kalau kita kumpul resources boleh tak achieve in 1/2 years' time? (aku nak retire from my job lah!)

can rope is bian oso you know! we talked about it before in one of our outings. anita pon ada sound juga nak contribute her skills.

Nani said...

Someone ever asked me what will I do for free...ie. not expecting any reward at all.. he said it has to do with something that we truly have passion in. I thought of that for a long while... Of course, if I venture into the pre-school enrichment prog thingie, I would want to earn sthg alsolah, and I want to do it well with you guys who are truly capable and interested...

Nani said...

Sorry if I sounded strange... but I really think Shikin is talented and Ayu is artistic and computer savvy. Actually the description for each person is interchangeable too. It's just that I think in many areas I am not ready to do it anytime soonlah...

Btw, I still remember Ayu relating to me her experience while arranging towels as a sales assistant at Metro. She was greeted with a pooooooot sound by a customer not realising she was around....hah hah

melayudilondon said...

alah darling, you are being very humble!! your talent in sajak and drama is unsurpassed! oh cik iu, rupanye you dah kena "blessing" masih atur tuala kat metro eh? anyway, nani, u ingat tak masih econs lecture kat yj tu? ada satu budak tk sakit perut. hahahaha

Nani said...

Oh yes... Now that you've mentioned...so funny...nasib baik bukan dari RGS hahaha....

yuRa said...

wahahahah.. alaa budak tk lah tu. hahahaha

yuRa said...

waaahhh .. nani. you remembered something i don't!

tak sangka kerja kat metro dapat blessing. hahah.

yuRa said...

apsal semua orang tak update their blogs nie?? boring ah takde benda nak baca! hehe

Ely said...

hello, got here from Sentraal Station.

yes i remember Metro. did u remember Wendy's too? that fastfood restaurant was so snobby to teenagers. thank god they closed down shortly after.

melayudilondon said...

Hallo! Oh Wendy's! I ingat sangat tu. dahlah snobby, mahal pulak tu. hahahahaha

yuRa said...

kata nak update alhambra! cepatlaa..

Ajzie said...

sama mcm ely, dtg sini thru Sentraal Station. Salam kenal. Orchard Road is heaven for org yg kaki shopping ler.

Wasalam
Ajzie

yuRa said...

i refuse to jejak Orchard Rd on weekends. tak kuasa nak berasak asak. :p

thank God for my shiftwork. kalu teringin sangat nak pegi, i go on weekdays. baru ada space skit. hehe

melayudilondon said...

Hello Azjie
Welcome welcome! alamak kalau Orchard Road tu dah memang kenal lah... tempat jatuh boleh terkenang, ni kan pulak tempat bershopping.