23 January 2006

Roll your sleeves!

Just checked Wikipedia for RGS. Besides the hum drum info like school motto, badge and school song, they had a small section on the uniform with these words “Students customarily fold their sleeves, following a time-honoured school tradition”. I cannot remember the school tradition but I do remember folding my sleeves. It’s mainly because it looked cool and I don’t think anyone remember why we did so. *hahahah*

Ah..the RGS school uniform.. strangely, as Lat could attest to this, the RGS is very much similar to Cambridge Primary uniform except for the collar. So it was not hard for me to make a transition to the dark blue pinafore and white blouse.

Oh the abuses we heaped on that poor uniform! Belts which should have been tied pinned demurely around the waist always end up as dikir barat headbands. When we do wear the belt, the top part of the pinafore had to be pulled out or puffed out ever so slightly to avoid that very square look. Thank goodness we don’t have to wear name badges during my time – can you imagine how long will mine be? All 27 letters of my name on it?

Anita and I were talking about how lasak that uniform was. It bears well to all the dikir barat and dance practice, all the rambutan tree climbing, tebu and bambu chopping. But it bears less well when IU tried to grab Anita in the normal police-thief game. One shoulder ripped away and Anita just collasped from laughing so hard. Luckily Eli did have some thread and a needle handy. Less luckily for me, when we were climbing over the gate after yet another late practice, my pinafore was caught at the top. I jumped without checking and the whole pinafore on the left side was ripped up to the waist.

I think I only wear the formal school uniform only once or twice in my school years – it was a long sleeved blouse with a prefect waist coat and skirt. I wore it only to the semi finals and third placings Malay Debate back in 1988. The school tie was worn during Assembly on Monday. Arghh.. always forgot to bring it and ended up sweltering in a sweater, pretending that the tie is underneath.

2 comments:

yuRa said...

not bringing a tie to the school assembly is like tying a noose around your neck! (pun fully intended)

my friend back then in st nic's said we were similar - we like to walk around like pregnant ladies i.e. belt elsewhere other than around the waist leaving the pinafore loosely hanging very much like a maternity dress. hahah.

oh, that st nic friend of mine is now my fitness instructor! muahhahaha

i rolled up my sleeves because my blouse's sleeves always seemed too long for my *cough* short arms. probably just my imagination but i thought they went right down to my elbows! so roll-up, so that can see more upper arm lor!

melayudilondon said...

ahahaha! blom tido lagi kah? takde orang kat keja - that's why i'm blogging like mad. yes, i also got altitude problem *ehem* so need to roll up sleeves. seems more rugged lah.