13 August 2008

Super OL

Now that I am officially an OL (Office Lady), let me tell you about the most powerful tool that a Singapore Office Lady has. It is the humble packet of tissues. What? Surely not! you must exclaimed. What ever could a teeny pack of disintergrating tissues do? Well, this!



Kapow!!

Strategically placed, this nondescript packet of tissue just "choped" (reserved, in proper parlance) this seat while the owner joins the queue to get her food. I am always highly amused seeing random packs of tissues, garnishing almost every seat in the food centre. I have to admit that the devil in me is sorely, sorely tempted to just pick up the tissue packs and see the mayhem that will ensue.

For the guy office worker, a sissy pack of tissue won't do. Thank goodness for free newspapers, conveniently given out at said food centre. So we'll see seats with folded newspapers instead.

I am beginning to discover my favourite foods in Singapore, starting with Seah Im Food Centre opposite HarbourFront. One teh tarik after another and we voted this one as our favourite :



Iced Teh Tarik.... the ones served by in the morning are the best.

Fragrant, good grade red tea with no trace of bitterness or overbrewing, skilfully blended with milk and of course, 'tarik' for the froth on top. The hot version is simply delicious with great milk notes but with the iced version, you'll get to taste how fragrant and mellow the tea is - delicate tastes otherwise hidden when your tastebuds are scalded with the hot version.



It is served here at Shamsudeen Tea Coffee Stall; on the side facing the bus interchange. Here is what I had - mee rebus with paru! The mee rebus is nice, although as not as nice as the ones served at Bedok. The paru is lovely and soft - a result of boiling for a long time and not overfried.



I am mad about paru and making up for lost time in London. It is so difficult to get them in London and more difficult to cook them still. Whenever they serve paru either in Nahar or Mawar, I guaranteed it will be the first dish to finish. Serve them any way - fried, with sambal, with veg, I take them all.

5 comments:

Lee said...

Hey! I thought you in London? How come in Singapore? Special assignment?
Couldn't help smiling read this posting.
Reminds me of old days, people tie handkerchiefs at cinema seats or stadium to reserve their seats while they go grab some food or drinks.

Wow! That mee rebus sure making me hungey for one...looking at it, I should be able to polish off two bowls no problems, ha ha. And I love teh tarek iced.

I like your previous post of being a ahemm, "KL virgin". Arhaaa ha ha.
Where you originally from? Reading your posting you sound like a stranger in Malaysia?
Anyway, you keep well and have fun eating, Lee.

melayudilondon said...

Hallo U.Lee
Saya nona singapura lah. Now back at Singapore. I have to change my nick to melayudisingapore eh?

Lee said...

Hey! All the time saya ingat you London lady, maybe staying at Kesington and going to those society parties at ahemmm, Buckingham? Or attending cocktails at Wimbledon?

Ahhh, you Singapore girl....saya pun da la kelang kabote.....ha ha.
Yes. maybe a new callsign, 'Nona Singapura' might be nice...or 'Singapore sarong', *wink*? Ha ha.
You have a nice day, Lee.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I was browsing the net for old photos of RGS and found your blog. Your last entry particularly caught my eye because it was my non Singaporean husband who brought to my attention the "Singaporean trait" of reserving tables with a pack of tissues!!
The reason I am looking for old photos of our alma mater is because I am one of the organisers of this year's Raffles Raya. Hope you have heard of it. If not visit our website at http://raffles-raya-2008.com/ Would you have photos that we can use and we do hope to see you there!! Feel free to write to me at doc@your-healthmatters.com if you have a feedback.
Thanks
RR 2008

Yeukie said...

i also want to take away the tissue packets and the newspapers and watch what happens..... ;)