9 November 2006

I feel like Chicken Tonight


In case, anyone is wondering ~ why do I suddenly upload recipes on this blog? No, I am not going to turn this into a 100% food blog. It would pale in comparison to the others already in existence (see the food blogs in my sidebar). The care and love they put in their photos and postings! It makes me so hungry just looking at the photos and when they posted wonderful photos of Malaysian/Singapore dishes.... wahhhh.... double whammy for me. Hungry and nostalgic.

I'm a "let's put that in the pot and see what comes out" type of cook so often I would forgot how I cook it. Yesterday, I stumbled upon this recipe Ayam Kicap Pak Said on Suria website. Hmm... sounds good and simple. OK, bought the chicken and was all out to cook this for dinner. Found out I am short of a few of the spices and worst of all, the blender died on me. So... sorry Pak Said, next time I try your chicken. Last night, I cooked Ayam Kicap Blender Rosak instead :


Ayam Kicap Blender Rosak
(Broken Blender Chicken in Spicy Soy Sauce .. hehehe)

One small chicken cut into portions
(seasoned with turmeric powder + salt, browned and set aside)

Ingredients A :
One onion, five garlic cloves, 2 inch ginger
(all sliced thin)
Ingredients B:
1 cinnamom stick
6 cloves , 6 cardomon
4 star anise
1 tablespoon of black pepper
Ingredients C:
100ml dark soy sauce
2 tbspn of oyster sauce
2-3 cups of water
2 tbspn of vinegar


Heat oil in a good sized pot. Fry all of Ingredients A until they smell absolutely yummy. Throw in Ingredients B. Once they are mixed well, carefully add in Ingredients C. Once the concoction bubbles, pop in the chicken, mix it well and cover the pot to cook the chicken. Stir it once a while. Cook it till chicken is done and gravy is thickened. Throw in some sliced spring onions + cubed tomatoes as garnish. Stir it once more time and it's ready to eat with hot white rice.




Chicken cooking in the pot. As you can see, I have a long way to go before I even qualify as an amateur food photojournalist. All that steam coming out of the pot!



I can almost hear Gordon Ramsay screaming "F**king Mucky Plate!" or something like that. The cooking smells had driven MH to distraction and I could only managed one snap before we dug in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Drooling*....
Sedapnya!

Nani said...

Ayam Kicap Pak Said asalnya daripada Buku Resipi Asmah Laili Mintak Ampun Sedapnya (ALMAS.) She did a cooking show on Suria, that's why the recipe is featured there. I love the recipe too because my kids love anything kicap-y.

But yr Ayam Kicap Blender rosak mesti lain dari yang lain.