1 February 2006

We are in London

IU asked my story about Cardiff and I realised that very little of my old mates knew how in the world I ended up, of all places, in Cardif. It was the start of my adventures in the U.K. A lot of people thought a). I was sent here on work i.e. I enjoy the enviable expat benefits that came with it or b). I married an ang moh. It was neither.

I have always wanted to travel and if I had been a few inches higher, I would have tried to join an airline. Maybe that is a blessing in disguise because I could never fit into that famous sarong kebaya. Just like my profile said, I grew tired of working what it felt like, non stop for Cold Storage. Somehow, Man knew I was getting restless and it was not a bed of roses at all for him at work too. We decided to do this when we are without any responsibilities like mortgage and kids and that was it.

I started prepping about a year before we went – reading up on all that I could get my hands on. We stumbled upon the Working Holiday Visa which not very many Singaporeans knew about. Basically, any Commonwealth youth (under the age of 28) can apply for a Working Holiday Visa to the U.K. where they have leave to stay for two years and most importantly, legally entitled to work. Apparently, other countries like New Zealand and Australia had similar arrangements as well.

It was a stroke of luck since Man and I were nearly 28/27 respectively. I wished we had known sooner. For a lot of UK, Saffa (South African), Australian and NZ uni students, this is so well-known. They usually take Gap years in their studies to do this trip. Maybe it is not so well-known in Singapore because inevitably, uni students would try to finish their course as early as possible before landing a job before graduation. Having taken this time out from Singapore, I believe it would be beneficial if one has the means. Let’s not talk about expanding your horizons – the least that you can achieve by going away is to appreciate what you have back home!

There was a lot of paperwork to do – forms to fill, a mini-essay to write and finally an interview at the British High Commission. You also have to show that you have the means to support yourself during your stay (an equivalent of £2000 must be available in your bank account). Man and I did a nifty trick by shifting the amount between our accounts and asking for statements. Heheheheh.

We finally did it! We got a stamp in our passports, tendered in our resignations, packed our bags and said goodbye to family and friends. It was a first long flight for us and we were very excited when we touched down at Heathrow. London looked grey and the airport huge. We took the airport bus to Euston station and took the Tube.

I think the first “What the hell am I doing?” when we took the Northern Line to Tufnell Park. Oh my God! The train has wooden floors!! How far removed are we from MRT spacious carriages and clean clean floors. And you have to take a creaky, cargo like lift to exit the station. For two virgin backpackers, it was a little scary. However, all fears evaporated when we had a proper look at London the next day. We woke up in the morning, momentarily disorientated and not entirely believing “We are in London!”

14 comments:

yuRa said...

ack! ada 'airport bus' to Euston eh?

Nani said...

I admire your courage to just go and start from zero in a foreign land. Tell us more in your future blogs about how you cope raising Alia, with work and just surviving in somewhere so foreign.

yuRa said...

kita banyak sangat emotional attachment kat sini agaknya eh, nani?

shikin, cerita cardiff belum lagi tu..

melayudilondon said...

oh tu cerita I tengah peram! hahahah. macam banyak pulak i nak bagitau you all, you know. watch this space. hahahahaha

yuRa said...

we're watching lah ni! hehe.
bagitau, jangan tak bagitau. kita suka kepo kepo.

jangan leave out cerita nikah - i think that one should be an entry of its own lah. yang emo-emo kita suka! heheh

Nani said...

I can imagine us sitting on the floor waiting for this storyteller seated on a stool to tell us stories.. hah hah.. Then, we go `Tell me more, tell me more...' to the tune in the movie Greese ( I forgot the song title)sung by Olivia Newton John.:)

yuRa said...

summer loving!! hahah
in that case we should be sitting on benches lah, nani. not floor. then this time shikin will be dancing for us! lol!

shikin, nani's opened a can of worms! you gotta tell us about your primary school's pink ladies! hahahaah

Nani said...

What pink ladies?

melayudilondon said...

alamak IU, that one also you ingat. Actually i wasn't one of the pink ladies. It was Lat actually with two other primary sch mates, Andriana & Siti Makkiah. hahahaha.. betul makan ikan tongkol lah you ni. siap dgn sambal belacan dgn ulam.

Nani said...

Wah sedap tu...Kalau Shikin turun Singapore, I'll try to get time off, then we all go and eat somewhere together. Maybe Hajjah Maimunah or Sabar Menanti near Masjid Sultan.

Hmmm Siti Makkiah is a nice and uncommon name. Agaknya mak dia banyak baca surah2 yang diturunkan di Mekah waktu ngandungkan dia... ada je si Nani... ( Ms Dot Dot Dot)

yuRa said...

*smacks lips* tongkol memang sedap! tadi my mum masak tongkol sambal manis. best!

oooh Lat yang pink lady! : )

shikin told me about it before lah, nani. and knowing me, this kind of trivia pon i cannot forget. pls don't bury me in an elephants' graveyard! hahaha

yuRa said...

nice theory there, nani.

shikin! kan kan kan? i dah cakap, mesti pegi kampong jawa! : )

melayudilondon said...

I love the sign for Sabar Menanti. ada additional Siang and malam next to it. Hjh Maimunah pls! dah lama i tak pegi. the last tiem i went they had ikan bakar and siput sedut masak lemak. Wow!! didn't i work with your kakak, Nani? teringat pulak I.

yuRa said...

actually i tak pernah pegi hjh maimunah yang kat kampong jawa. i've been to the geylang serai one! kat sana lagi spacious. better because you know lah the crowd there!

eh tadi ada roxette's it must have been love on class95. i say! that was circa 1989 kan? oh, richard gere!